Job Posting: Agro-meteorologist/Weather Modeller
Location: Lethbridge, AB. Canada.
Permanent Full Time
Start Date: Immediate
Reporting to the Vice President of Global Agronomy, the Agro-meteorologist/Weather Modeller is a research and development role responsible for developing the precision weather program at Farmers Edge (FE). This will include working with internal resources as well as external partners to help maximize the use of farm centric weather data in the use of hyper local forecasting, data analysis and decision making tools. Although the position is located in Western Canada (Lethbridge), it will have global responsibilities as Farmers Edge expands their Precision Solutions platform into new geographies.
Duties may include the following:
- Think strategically to help position the company as a leader in the use of farm centric weather data within the framework of precision agriculture.
- Work with the VP and the team to set priorities, define goals, set appropriate actions within the context of the business planning process.
- Participate in R&D team and other corporate projects within FE's global business.
- Act as team member/team leader as appropriate on weather related projects.
- Coordinate and/or initiate research projects aimed at developing FE's precision weather portfolio of products.
- Work with the other members of the team to develop training programs to ensure operations, sales, and other groups within FE as well as external clients understand the scope and end use of weather products.
- Work with the international group to extend FE's weather platform to new geographies.
- Interact with corporate partners to build relationships, create opportunities, and develop new products and services.
- Identify potential new applications for weather data and identify opportunities for further development and implementation.
- Provide support for staff on issues and questions within your expertise.
Education and Experience:
Must have a PhD and/or MS.c. from a recognized university in meteorology, agro-meteorology, or related field relevant to the collection, analysis, and modelling of weather data / modelling in relation to crop production. Programming experience in programs such as: Fortran 90, Matlab. Experience with database Mgmt Systems: MySQL. Strong project management skills. Advanced skills in data management, processing, analysis including big data techniques. Relevant management experience in development of weather applications in the crop production context.
Farmers Edge offers a very competitive remuneration package/benefits plan which includes: A comprehensive health benefits plan,
as well as a deferred profit sharing plan. 3-4 weeks vacation. Salary range from $102,000-$110,000.00 dependent on qualifications, experience and skill.
Farmers Edge Headoffice located at 1470 Willson Place, Winnipeg, Manitoba, R3T 3N9.
Qualified applicants: Please send resume to Daryl Henry at: Careers@farmersedge.ca.